03 Jun Kohlrabi and Apple Salad
New to the CSA shares this week is kohlrabi, a unique vegetable developed by crossing a cabbage and a turnip. Back when my family began as members of Blooming Glen Farm CSA, we had never heard of kohlrabi. It’s now one of my personal favorites- delicious, crisp and refreshing. This week’s recipe showcases raw kohlrabi in a simple, yet healthy way. This would make a great side dish or could be served over salad greens (we enjoyed it with a side of egg salad for a quick dinner on one of our busy nights on the go).
Kohlrabi and Apple Salad
2 medium kohlrabi bulbs
1 large apple (*I used our favorite, honeycrisp, but you can use any crisp variety)
2 Tbsp chopped scallions
2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
Juice of 1 lemon, about 2 Tbsp
2 tsp maple syrup
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp lemon zest
Chive blossoms (optional)
- Clean the kohlrabi. Cut off the bottom. You do not need to peel this young spring variety. The skin is tender and edible. Julienne both bulbs and place in large bowl.
- Core apple and julienne. Add to large bowl with kohlrabi.
- Add scallions to the bowl with kohlrabi and apple pieces. Mix to combine.
- In small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Pour dressing over kohlrabi, apple, and scallion mixture. Toss to coat all pieces.
- Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Optional: garnish with chive blossoms.
**You can also make this into a slaw. Simply shred the kohlrabi bulbs and apple instead of julienning.
Recipe and photos by Stephanie Borzio. Stephanie is a mom of three active boys and is an autoimmune warrior. After battling her own health for several years, Stephanie found healing through food and lifestyle changes, including joining Blooming Glen Farm CSA of which she is a long time member. She is a Board Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who is passionate about sharing healthy living tips and real food recipes. Instagram and Facebook: Tru You Essentials; Website: www.truyouessentials.com
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.