21 Sep Escarole Salad with Apple & Dates
Escarole is the star of this recipe. It looks very similar to head lettuce but has a very different flavor profile. It is one of our bitter greens and is full of amazing vitamins and minerals. Combining the inner leaves of the escarole with some apple, sweet onion, dates, and shaved parmesan creates a fantastic combination of flavors and textures.
1 head escarole
½ sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
5-6 medjool dates, pit removed and chopped
¼ cup shaved parmesan (optional)
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp sea salt
Pinch black pepper
- Remove outer leaves from escarole (about ¼ of the head). Save for another use or add to your veggie scrap freezer bag.
- Wash and dry remaining escarole leaves and chop. Place in a large bowl.
- Make dressing by placing all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing on escarole and toss to coat.
- Add onion, apple, dates, and parmesan to bowl. You can either layer these on top and serve or toss everything together and serve that way.
- Enjoy immediately!
Recipe and photos by Stephanie Borzio. Stephanie is a mom of three active boys and is an autoimmune warrior. After battling her own health for several years, Stephanie found healing through food and lifestyle changes, including joining Blooming Glen Farm CSA of which she is a long time member. She is a Board Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who is passionate about sharing healthy living tips and real food recipes. Instagram and Facebook: Tru You Essentials; Website: www.truyouessentials.com