20 Oct Beyond Butter: Homemade Popcorn and 5 Fun Recipes!
Popcorn grown fresh on the farm is such a wonderful treat- it just tastes better than store bought, and pops up to a wonderful fluffy texture! It is an easy snack- great for after school or work, for movie nights, or family game nights. It is simple to make on your stovetop or even your microwave, and can be topped with a variety of delicious flavors. I’ve included topping suggestions as well as five recipes for you to experiment with: Sweet & Spicy, Savory, Nut Butter, Herb Citrus and Popcorn Gooey Balls!
(Makes about 5 cups of popped kernels)
2 Tbsp oil (coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, etc.)
1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- Place oil in a large heavy bottomed pan with lid.
- Heat oil to medium and then turn down to low.
- Place 3 kernels into the pan to test the oil. After they pop, remove them with a slotted spoon.
- Pour the rest of the popcorn kernels into the pan and cover with lid.
- Shake the pan to prevent burning or sticking.
- Continue shaking every couple of seconds. Keep the pan on low heat. Listen for the kernels to stop popping. Popping only takes 1-2 minutes, so it is quick.
- When popping stops, remove the pan from the heat. Slowly remove the lid.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the popped kernels to a bowl.
- Enjoy plain or season.
Microwave Directions: *no oil needed
- Place kernels in a brown paper bag.
- Fold top of bag down twice (about 1 inch each).
- Lay in microwave on side. Folded side down.
- Microwave 2 minutes, 15 seconds to 2 minutes, 45 seconds (time varies depending on microwaves).
- Listen to pops. As they slow down, remove from microwave.
- Open bag and pour popped kernels into bowl.
- Enjoy plain or season.
- Butter and sea salt
- Coconut oil and sea salt
- Parmesan cheese
- Nutritional yeast
- Cinnamon and powdered sugar
- or try one of the following recipes…
Sweet and Spicy Popcorn
Ingredients: 6 Tbsp maple syrup, ½ jalapeno (or other hot pepper), ¼ tsp sea salt, 5 cups popped popcorn
Directions: Roughly chop the jalapeno- do not remove seeds or membranes. Place the maple syrup and the jalapeno in a small saucepan. Simmer on low for 10 minutes. Strain. Add sea salt to spicy syrup and mix. Place popcorn in large bowl. Drizzle syrup over the popcorn. Toss to coat.
Ingredients: 2 Tbsp butter, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp sea salt, 5 cups popped popcorn
Directions: In a small saucepan, melt butter. Once melted, remove from heat and add onion powder, garlic powder, and sea salt. Mix. Place popcorn in large bowl. Drizzle butter mixture over the popcorn. Toss to coat.
Peanut Butter Popcorn
Ingredients: 3 Tbsp honey, 3 Tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter), ¾ tsp vanilla, 5 cups popped popcorn
Directions: In a small saucepan, add honey, peanut butter, and vanilla. Heat and mix until well combined. Place popcorn in large bowl. Drizzle peanut butter mixture over the popcorn. Toss to coat. Lay out on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet to cool.
Herb Citrus Popcorn
Ingredients: 2 Tbsp coconut oil, 1 tsp citrus zest (orange, lime, etc.), 1 tsp finely chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, lemon thyme, lemon verbena, etc.), ¾ tsp sea salt, 5 cups popped popcorn
Directions: In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil. Once melted, remove from heat and add citrus zest, chopped herbs, and sea salt. Mix. Place popcorn in large bowl. Drizzle coconut oil mixture over the popcorn. Toss to coat.
Popcorn Gooey Balls
Ingredients: 1 ½ Tbsp butter, 2 cups mini marshmallows, 5 cups popped popcorn
Directions: Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Once melted, add marshmallows and stir until fully melted. Add popcorn and mix well. Using an ice cream scoop, shape the mixture into balls. Place on wax paper to cool.
Recipe and photos by Stephanie Borzio. Stephanie is a mom of three active boys and is an autoimmune warrior. After battling her own health for several years, Stephanie found healing through food and lifestyle changes, including joining Blooming Glen Farm CSA of which she is a long time member and CSA Coach. She is a Board Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who is passionate about sharing healthy living tips and real food recipes. Instagram and Facebook: Tru You Essentials; Website: www.truyouessentials.com