It’s been a great season for Blooming Glen Farm onions, and as a result we’ve been receiving them steadily in our shares for a few weeks now. The star of this recipe is sweet onions. Caramelizing the onions enhances their flavor and adds a wonderful component to this salad dressing. As many of us fall back into a school lunch routine, playing around with different salad dressings can keep salads fun and fresh. Check out the farm’s “Salad in a Jar” Recipe Formula PDF. Don’t limit this dressing to salads though- it’s also great on burgers, wraps or grilled veggies.
Caramelized Sweet Onion Dressing
2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp avocado oil
1 ¼ cups avocado or olive oil
2/3 cup vinegar (white wine, apple cider, or white)
¼ cup water
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in pan on stovetop.
- Add onions and stir. Cook for 15-20 minutes on medium to low heat. Stir occasionally to evenly caramelize the onions.
- Onions should be nice and golden when done.
- Combine caramelized onions and dressing ingredients in large mason jar.
- Using immersion blender, blend the dressing.
- Enjoy on salad, burgers, etc.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Recipe and photos by Stephanie Borzio. Stephanie is a mom of three active boys and is an autoimmune warrior. After battling her own health for several years, Stephanie found healing through food and lifestyle changes, including joining Blooming Glen Farm CSA of which she is a long time member. She is a Board Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who is passionate about sharing healthy living tips and real food recipes. Instagram and Facebook: Tru You Essentials; Website: www.truyouessentials.com