02 Nov Brussels Sprout Sweet Potato Hash
This week’s farm bounty is full of the perfect ingredients for a “hash”. Combine the tender brussels sprouts with the farm fresh sweet potatoes, onions, and garlic for a side dish that is perfect for any time of day- breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Brussels Sprout Sweet Potato Hash
½ lb brussels sprouts (about 2 cups)
1 large sweet potato (about 2 cups)
3 small sweet onions
3 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ lb fully cooked ham, cut into ½ inch pieces*
Optional garnish- fresh herbs, finely chopped
- Prepare vegetables.
- Brussels Sprouts- clean and peel outside layers off. For small brussels, leave whole. For medium ones, cut in half. For larger ones, cut into fourths.
- Sweet Potato- peel and cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Sweet Onions- peel and cut into eighths.
- Garlic- peel and leave whole.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine brussels sprouts, sweet potato, onions, garlic, oil, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and ham in a large bowl. Toss to combine everything.
- Place mixture on baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, mixing once halfway through baking time.
- After the vegetables are done roasting, remove the garlic cloves and chop. Add them back into the roasted vegetables and mix.
- Garnish with freshly chopped herbs of choice (optional) and serve immediately.
*You can leave the ham out for a meatless dish. You can also sub the ham for bacon (fully cooked and chopped), but this should be added after cooking the vegetables.
Recipe and photos by Stephanie Borzio. Stephanie is a mom of three active boys and is an autoimmune warrior. After battling her own health for several years, Stephanie found healing through food and lifestyle changes, including joining Blooming Glen Farm CSA of which she is a long-time member. She is a Board Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who is passionate about sharing healthy living tips and real food recipes. Instagram and Facebook: Tru You Essentials; Website: www.truyouessentials.com