13 Dec Cornmeal Waffles
Thanks to our farmers at Blooming Glen Farm, we now have locally-grown, fresh-ground, organic (non GMO) cornmeal available to us! An heirloom variety of dent corn, “Nothstine”, was grown and harvested on the farm and then ground into cornmeal. You can use this tasty cornmeal in cornbread or muffin recipes, as a tasty “breading” on your favorite protein, in pancakes, or in these delicious waffles.
¾ cup cornmeal
¾ cup flour (all purpose; gluten free blend; or cassava)
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp honey
1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
2 Tbsp oil (avocado, olive, or melted coconut) or melted butter
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, combine eggs, honey, milk, and oil.
- Slowly mix dry mixture into the wet mixture until well combined.
- Heat waffle maker and coat with cooking spray.
- Pour ¼ – ¾ cup batter into waffle maker. The amount used depends on the size of your waffle maker. Heat until cooked through.
- Serve while hot and top with butter, maple syrup, powdered sugar, jam, etc.
**These can be made ahead of time and frozen. Just reheat in the toaster or oven.
Recipe and photos by Stephanie Borzio. Stephanie is a mom of three active boys and is an autoimmune warrior. After battling her own health for several years, Stephanie found healing through food and lifestyle changes, including joining Blooming Glen Farm CSA of which she is a long time member. She is a Board Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who is passionate about sharing healthy living tips and real food recipes. Instagram and Facebook: Tru You Essentials; Website: www.truyouessentials.com