Now hiring full season, full time, irrigation manager for the 2017 season!
This management position is for someone who has one or more years’ experience on a production oriented vegetable farm and is looking to take on more responsibility and focus on one area of management, specifically irrigation. You will become knowledgeable in installation of drip and overhead systems, and implement a daily irrigation schedule. You will be responsible for fertigation, system installation, maintenance and repairs. You will also be a part of our regular harvest crew and fill in with field work as needed. Starting pay $12.19-13/hr.
Daily hours for the majority of the season are 7am to 6pm Mon-Fri, with an (unpaid) hour for lunch, and some Saturdays required. Schedule allows for flexibility due to weather and time of year.
Following are examples of possible field work activities:
- Field work: harvesting, transplanting, weeding, pruning, trellising, drive tomato stakes by hand, thinning, field prep and field clean up, laying, moving and removing hoops and row covers, shoveling sides down.
- Pack-out operations: washing and sorting harvested crops, quality control, and packing/storage requirements of all crops
- Greenhouse operations: assisting propagation manager with seeding and potting-up, high tunnel bed prep, transplanting, ventilation, pruning, fertigation and irrigation.
- Strong work ethic and endurance for hard physical work, willing to work hard above and beyond when required
- Sense of humor, positive attitude and enthusiasm
- Ability to balance speed and efficiency while maintaining BGF’s standard of quality
- Physically fit- must be able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly and easily (you will be moving 40 pound irrigation pipes), and work physically all day in all sorts of extreme weather doing repetitive tasks like stooping, lifting, pulling, weeding, etc.
- Must work well in a team environment and be able to communicate honestly and accept feedback
This job requires minimum one full season verifiable agricultural field work experience on a vegetable farm, handling both manual and machine tasks associated with commodity production and field work and harvest activities. Some knowledge of and exposure to field scale irrigation systems helpful. We will work closely with you to train you and get you to the point where you are able to manage the farm’s irrigation system with our continued support. Must be able to commit to full time, full season work, April through November and be available to work M-F, as well as the occasional Saturday.
Benefits of working on the farm
- Lots of delicious organic vegetables available for your consumption- you will receive a free full CSA share.
- Being part of a dedicated community of people working to improve our local food system
- Spend lots of time outside in the summer
- Competitive hourly pay